The law protects you from being injured in a public place and requires a local authority, private landowner or occupier to have proper regard for the safety of people who may use their premises or land (in some circumstances even if that person is a trespasser).

Special care must be given to children who come onto the land or use the premises.

Public places include streets, highways, shops, shopping centres, parks, playgrounds, schools, other education establishments, pubs, nightclubs, hotels, sports stadiums, holiday parks, railway lines, railway stations, your neighbours’ property – the list is endless.

Common accidents include tripping on uneven or broken paving, stepping into a pothole, tripping on an object protruding from the ground or slipping on a wet floor or produce in a shop or cafe, pub or nightclub.

If you have been injured in a public place because the land or premises were dangerous, you may have a claim.

Reporting Your Accident

Where possible, take photographs of the place where you were injured, showing evidence of the hazard that caused your injury.

If you tripped over an object or paving, or fell because of stepping into a pothole, please record the measurement of the depth of the trip or hole and take a photograph showing the measurement. If you do not have a tape measure, use something identifiable such as a 50 pence piece. Make sure you take the photo from an angle that shows the depth of the trip or hole.

You should report the accident to the landowner at the earliest opportunity and contact a trusted legal claims specialist without delay.

This is why Attwaters Jameson Hill’s Personal Injury solicitors are here.

We pledge to provide every client with outstanding personal service and communication, unrivalled industry knowledge and a proven track record of successfully achieving compensation for clients who have made claims resulting from an accident in a public place.

Whenever possible we will seek to obtain an interim payment from the responsible party’s insurers to assist with any financial hardship you have been caused and to pay for treatment privately.

If you think you may have grounds for such a claim, Attwaters Jameson Hill will offer you a jargon-free consultation and assessment free of charge.

If you have a strong case, please don’t delay. Call us now for free specialist advice and no win no fee representation.

Awards and Accolades

  • acn clinical negligence
  • acn conveyancing quality
  • acn family law
  • The Legal 500 – The Clients Guide to Law Firms
  • Best places to wok in UK
  • ERC Endorsement
  • Lexcel
  • AVMA
  • SCIL