My Professional Background
I am able to provide advice on all aspects of the Town and Country Planning Act and am regularly asked to give legal opinions on the interpretation of the Act and legislation within planning. I have an excellent understanding of Certificate of Lawfulness applications and the interpretation of the General Permitted Development Order. This includes acting for private individuals on enlargements and alterations to their property, as well as acting for developers on the interpretation of more recent changes of use permitted under this legislation.
My work includes handling all types of planning appeals. I am familiar with the Inquiry procedure, having assisted Queen’s Counsel in major Inquiry appeal cases. I am also able to provide advice on Enforcement Notice procedure, as well as advising on, and conducting (as advocate), appeals against such notices. I am familiar with the procedure in relation to Judicial Review proceedings and am conversant with dealing with such matters from filing a claim, all the way through to High Court hearings.
I am instructed by developers, individuals and local authorities. I have experience in dealing with Section 106 and 278 agreements and Deeds of Variation for major national housebuilders.
I attended the John Warner School in Hoddesdon and graduated from Queen Mary University (University of London), with a degree in English and European Law. After qualifying as a Solicitor in 2010, I joined the Planning department at the firm. I am now a Partner and Head of the Planning department.
Achievements / Accreditations
- Listed as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in the Legal 500 2022 ‘Salvatore Amico has a really effective attitude to his work and clients. He is excellent with drafting s106 planning obligations and he is both diligent and hardworking as well as flexible. I appreciate his candour as well.’
- Listed as a ‘Next Generation Partner’ in the Legal 500 2021 ‘
- Listed as “up and coming” in Chambers and Partners 2021 “Salvatore is excellent – he is efficient, friendly and knows his stuff.““His knowledge is wide-ranging and the thought he applies behind the work is always acute and to the point.“ “Salvatore is very pragmatic, cost-aware, and manages the expectations of clients and counsel well.“
- Quoted as being a ‘Rising star’ in the Legal 500 2020
- Recommended as a ‘Recognised Practitioner’ in this years Chambers and Partners 2020
- “Offers consistently helpful and clear responses…very smart and clearly building a great practice”. Legal 500 2019
- In the 2017 Legal 500, the directory commented I offer ‘consistently helpful and clear responses’.
- Recognised in the Legal 500 as “having the makings of an excellent planning litigator”
- The Planning department is ranked in Band 2 of the Legal 500, for its expertise
- Instructed by a Local Authority as lead lawyer in a Section 106 agreement in the Council’s area for a complex agreement (1000 new homes, education facilities and associated infrastructure). The negotiations for the agreement have extended over a 12-month period and are ongoing.
- Currently acting for a community group in relation to their objection to an agricultural lagoon. Involves advising on highways, environmental and landscaping issues surrounding the proposed development.
I was born in Italy, but have been living in Hertfordshire since I was three. I regularly attend the gym and am a keen runner. Stereotypically, my favourite foods are pizza and pasta and I like to drink Peroni. Aside from fitness, I like music and enjoy cooking (and eating!). If I was on a desert island I would like my wife, Gabriella, with me.