We work with many owner managers and family business leaders who live and breathe their business – so much so that they can’t imagine anybody else ever taking over the reins.
Admirable though this may be, it means that many reach a point where they cannot or no longer want to shoulder this level of responsibility, without a single person with the necessary skills or knowledge ready to step into their shoes.
This is where Attwaters Jameson Hill’s skilled Corporate & Commercial legal team can help. We work with business owners to prepare their business for the smoothest possible transition to the next generation.
What is succession planning?
In the simplest terms, succession planning is the practice of identifying the key people in a business who are vital to its survival, and appointing successors to take over these key roles when the time is right.
With expert help, however, a good business succession plan can – and should – be a lot more comprehensive. Our Corporate lawyers can help businesses with:
- Day-to-day business governance, including the drawing up of documentation, policies and contracts, business dispute resolution, HR and employment law support, business health checks and more
- A robust legal framework for succession, including Family Charters, tailored articles and other planning options
- Alternatives to succession, such as third-party sales or management buyouts (MBOs)
- Trusts & tax advice to ensure your business can be passed down the generations in the most tax-efficient manner possible
- Private wealth advice, including Inheritance Tax, Wills and estate planning guidance, to support the safe and tax-efficient transfer of your wealth to the next generation.
At Attwaters Jameson Hill, we understand that no two businesses are the same. That’s why our Corporate lawyers provide tailored advice and guidance aligned with your business’s unique requirements and objectives for the future.
By working with us, you’ll have the best of both worlds. You can throw yourself into nurturing and growing your business in the here and now, whilst enjoying the peace of mind that comes with knowing the future is taken care of.