For many businesses, renting premises is often the best option – but time and effort is needed to find the right premises at the right price.
Remember the property agent is looking to get the best possible deal for the property owner so do your homework and do not be afraid to ask questions.
This is why Attwaters Jameson Hill’s Commercial Property team is here.
We pledge to provide every client with outstanding personal service and communication, unrivalled industry knowledge and a proven track record of advising our clients regarding business property leases.
How do we achieve this?
Attwaters Jameson Hill’s savvy commercial property experts will work alongside you so that you are very clear on what is being offered, how closely your needs can be fitted, and the scope for negotiation.
We will advise you on:
- All the direct costs – rent, insurance, service charge, rates, heat, light – which are fixed and which may change?
- How long you want to be committed – lease length, break clauses, right to renew – can you assign or sublet?
- The condition of the premises – what repairs might be needed and who is responsible? Will you need to make alterations?
- Your intended use – will your use involve a change of use (you may need planning permission)? Will you be forced by law to make alterations?
- Your personal liability – are you the Tenant? Are you required to give a personal guarantee? Are you going to have to give a Rent Deposit?
Remember it is the total cost of the premises over the whole period of the lease that is important not just the initial rent.
The Formal Documents
Once the major terms have been agreed in principle it is essential to have all the appropriate enquiries and investigations carried out and receive advice on the detailed terms in the documents you are going to sign.
However strong your relationship is, or seems to be, with the Landlord, the Landlord may sell to another party so the documents you sign must cover everything you have agreed.