My Professional Background
I purely specialise, and have a wealth of 24 years’ experience, in child and family law including: divorce and separation, financial remedy proceedings (financial settlements), private law children disputes, child protection, cohabitation agreements and disputes, pre-nuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
My clients are often vulnerable and emotional. I am acutely conscious of the fact that they require not only sound legal and practical advice, but reassurance and support. The relationship that they have with their solicitor is extremely important and with my diverse and specialised knowledge in family law, I am able to assist and guide them through some difficult times.
I started at Attwater & Liell (as was) in December 2000 as Head of the Family department in Harlow. I became a Partner in 2003 and now head the Family department and a team of specialised lawyers, over all four of our offices. Prior to this I spent five years at a firm in Hertfordshire, after training in a large firm in Buckinghamshire and working in North London.
Achievements / Accreditations
- I am a member of the Law Society Family Law scheme
- I am an accredited panel member on the Law Society Family Law Advanced Scheme (adult party’s Representative – Children Law proceedings)
- I am accredited by Resolution as a specialist family lawyer (Child Law and Advocacy)
- I was a panel member of the Law Society’s Children Law Accreditation Scheme for 14 year
- Ranked as Band 1 in Chambers and Partners 2019. The directory commented that I ‘come highly recommended’ with my clients finding me ‘extremely helpful, knowledgeable and very understanding’.
- Also achieving the highest possible rank in Chambers and Partners 2019 was my “compact, impressive” Family Law Team, receiving some truly fantastic comments from clients and the directory. We are known for our skill in “highly specialised areas such as Schedule 1 cases, same-sex marriages and civil partnerships”. One satisfied client remarked: “They are so client-friendly, I got everything I could have ever asked from them and more”. My team was also praised for its “hard-working and enthusiastic lawyers who always strive for the best results”.
- Ranked as ‘Leading Individual in the 2018 Legal 500 2018 rankings. The directory commented that I ‘undertake the most complex work to an exceptionally high standard’, ‘being on top of every issue’ and having ‘great tact and patience with vulnerable clients who have difficulty in giving instructions’
- My department also ranked as Tier 2 in Legal 500 2018 rankings with the directory commenting that we are “competent, efficient and friendly” comprising of a team of “capable, helpful and committed” solicitors, and has been lauded for its “niche expertise” and “great client service”.
- Ranked as a ‘Leading Individual’ in the 2017 Legal 500 rankings. The directory commented that I am a “standout lawyer” and am “down to earth and extremely conscientious, going above and beyond the call of duty for clients, making them feel well supported”.
- My department is ranked in Band 2 for the Legal 500 2017
- In the 2017 Legal 500, the directory reported that my team are “highly experienced” and provide “excellent client care”. Particular mention was made of the services my department provides, as the team is “able to represent clients in family finance work, private law children work and care work, to an extremely high standard”.
- In Chambers and Partners 2018, I am ranked in Band 1, with the following comments: “Joyti Henchie advises on complex matrimonial finance and children disputes and is highly commended by sources. ‘She is down to earth, extremely conscientious, and has excellent judgement,’ an interviewee reports. ‘She always has time to speak, no matter what,’ another source adds.”
- In Chambers and Partners 2017, I am ranked in Band 1, with the following comments: “Joyti Henchie is ‘an exceptional practitioner with a first-class practice’. She handles complex children law cases and substantial financial work, along with cohabitation and prenuptial agreements. Sources say ‘she is a fantastic lawyer, who always has time no matter how busy she is’.
- In Chambers and Partners 2016, I achieved Band 1 status once more with the following accompanying comments: “Joyti Henchie has established ‘an extremely busy and successful family practice’. She handles a range of financial disputes and cross-border mandates. Sources also single her out as ‘extremely personable, organised and efficient’”.
- In Chambers and Partners 2015, I was ranked in Band 1 of family lawyers, within the region with the following comments: “Joyti has a wealth of expertise in matrimonial finance and children work. She receives solid praise for her ‘wise and practical counsel,’ in addition to her highly ‘approachable’ nature and ‘unending patience and empathy.’”
- In Chambers and Partners 2015, I was listed as a ‘notable practitioner’.
- My department was ranked in Band 3 of the Legal 500 2016 and Band 2 (Essex) for Chambers and Partners 2017
- I was nominated for the Family Law Partner of the Year Award of the Family Law Awards (2012)
- I am rated in Thomas Reuters Super Lawyers (2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016)
- I was recently admitted to the exclusive Leading Lawyer Global 250 list
- I was involved in Re A (A Child)  EWHC 517 (Fam), Consideration of whether s.31 Children Act 1989 threshold had been crossed where it could not be shown that a child’s injuries had been caused by his parents
- I have been listed as a ‘Best Lawyer’ within the UK for Family Law 2020
I was born in Isleworth, Middlesex, and have since lived within the Home Counties of Hertfordshire and Essex. I am married with three children, aged 18, 15 and 11. I enjoy pilates in my spare time.
HSSF (Help and Support for Separated Families) is an initiative that aims to reduce conflict and improve parental collaboration, to focus on the needs of children.