My Professional Background
I have significant experience in all matters concerning town and country planning. I have vast involvement in development plan document examination work and have carried this out for numerous local authorities. Those authorities have relied upon my advice at both the formative stages of the development plan documents and at their subsequent examinations in public. Under the old development plan system, I undertook some 25 plan inquiries for local authorities and have now advised 15 different local planning authorities on their Core Spatial strategies and other development plan documents.
Being in charge of the Local Authority team opposing the Stansted airport expansion, 1980-82, meant I mixed with the best QCs in the business. This set me on the path of specialist planning advocacy.
I was educated at Calday Grange Grammar School, West Kirby, and gained my LLB at Sheffield University. I was a specialist Planning Lawyer in local government, moving from Cheshire to Hertfordshire in 1974. I founded Jameson & Hill in 1982 and the firm has grown from strength to strength since then.
Achievements / Accreditations
- “Rob Jameson always provides clear, understandable advice in a timely manner.” Legal 500 2020
- Named as ‘Senior Statesman’ in Chambers and Partners 2020. Clients describe me as “extremely knowledgeable in his field and provides excellent advice and support”, while another noted that “His strengths include the ability to cut through extraneous issues and get to the heart of the matter.”
- In the 2019 Legal 500 I am listed as ‘Leading Individual’ and described as ‘always able to identify key issues‘
- In Chambers and Partners 2019 I am proud to be named a “Senior Statesman” for the second year in a row. I am described as an “outstanding” lawyer who “has always been able to identify the most appropriate approach for a client”.
- In the 2017 Legal 500, the directory commented I am ‘always able to identify key issues’.
- In Chambers and Partners 2018, I am ranked as a “Senior Statesman”, which is the highest individual ranking that lawyers can achieve.
- In Chambers and Partners for both 2016 and 2017, I am recognised as a “Senior Statesman”, which is the highest individual ranking that lawyers can achieve. This year I am noted by sources as “excellent”. Sources also say “He has got clarity and the ability to go straight to the key issues rather than the peripheral things”.
- I am listed in the 2016 Legal 500 as a “leading individual”, with a “strong track record of acting for local authorities”.
- Attwaters Jameson Hill’s Planning department is listed within Band 3 of the 2015 Legal 500, where I am acknowledged as having “a breadth of knowledge of Planning case law, with a clear understanding of the expectations of the Planning Inspectorate”.
- I have been listed as one of the top 25 highest ranked Planning solicitors in the Planning Law Survey 2017.
I was born in Sale, South Manchester, but have lived in Hertfordshire for over 40 years. I currently reside in Ardeley, with my wife Jill and our cat, Dan. I have two children, one of each, and a pair of grandchildren. I enjoy eating hot Indian food and my favourite tipple is Timothy Taylor’s Landlord. My interests include fly fishing, cricket, football and rugby and I also enjoy gardening. I would say that my dream job would be Head Ghillie of Birgham Dub – River Tweed. If I could take one companion with me to a desert island, I would choose Marianne Faithfull, although we have both aged a bit!