My Professional Background
I specialise in complex, high value medical negligence, fatal accident and preventable suicide cases. I am responsible for a wide range of cases, including surgical error, misdiagnosis and sub-standard nursing and midwifery care. I am particularly interested in claims involving injuries to mother or baby during pregnancy and labour. I also represent families at inquests.
I became a Partner at Attwaters Jameson Hill in 2009 and Head of Medical Negligence Dept in 2014. I am the Firm’s LEXCEL Senior Responsible Officer (SRO) and a Professional Trustee on a number of multi million pound Personal Injury Trusts.
Recent Successful Cases
- £14.4 million settlement in cerebral palsy, birth injury, claim
- FB -v- Princess Alexandra Hospital NHS Trust  EWCA Civ 334 – Court of Appeal overturned first instance liability Judgment against the Claimant in multi million delayed diagnosis of meningitis claim.
- Several multi million pound child damages cases where proceedings are stayed until the claim can be quantified and six figure interim payments have been obtained.
- Represented families at Inquests particularly where human rights issues are involved and in psychiatric suicide cases.
- Obtained 1.75-million-pound settlement for a brain injury case concerning a child, who was injured as a result of the mismanagement of his mother’s labour, where liability and causation were strongly contested.
- £450,000 settlement for a young woman injured as a result of substandard surgery, causing spinal accessory nerve damage
- £250,000 settlement for injury caused by negligently performed bladder surgery
- Six-figure settlement for a delay in cancer diagnosis
- Specialist in multi-million pound complex neurological injury litigation
- Six figure settlements for several clients who have suffered the preventable suicide of a loved one.
- £110,000 settlement for a widower in a tragic preventable fatality medical negligence claim
- £4m settlement for a 16 year old girl left brain damaged and hearing impaired after misdiagnosed meningitus
Achievements / Accreditations
- AvMA Clinical Negligence panel member
- Law Society Clinical Negligence panel member
- Recommended as a top tier ranking (Band 1) Medical Negligence Solicitor in Chambers & Partners 2019 with the following comments : ‘She is fabulous, really hard-working and will go more than the extra mile for the client.’
- Legal 500 2018 recommended Medical Negligence lawyer with the comment ‘brings huge experience, professionalism and empathy’
- In Chambers and Partners 2018, I am ranked in Band 1, with the following comments: “The ‘fantastic’ Madeline Seibert’s practice covers obstetrics and psychiatric cases, including brain injury claims, where she recently represented a claimant minor who suffered deafness and brain damage following the failure to be admitted to hospital. One commentator notes: ‘She’s wonderful with clients, very reassuring and willing to go the extra mile for them.’”
- In Chambers and Partners 2018 my team is noted for “demonstrating expertise in complex clinical negligence litigation, including acting on claims concerning birth and psychiatric injury. Advises on high-value cases of brain damage and severe injuries in children. Also widely considered a destination practice for sensitive claims involving fatalities, with experience representing bereaved families in inquests. One impressed client reports: ‘The team worked hand in hand at all times, and was always friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. They also showed prompt attention to detail, clear and concise communications, and were approachable for any concerns I had.'”
- Ranked within Band 1 for Chambers and Partners 2017 with the following comments: “Head of department Madeline Seibert handles a wide range of complex clinical negligence claims, including matters arising due to negligent obstetric care. Sources name her ‘an absolute gem’ and commend her as ‘a very accurate and conscientious worker who is passionate about her clients’”.
- Medical Negligence department ranked in Band 1 for Essex in Chambers and Partners 2017.
- In the 2017 Legal 500, the directory commented that I have ‘great judgement’ and ‘works tirelessly for the client’s benefit’.
- Described by the Legal 500 as an “effective litigator and good tactician” and by Chambers and Partners 2016 as “tough and uncompromising in terms of negotiating, but never forgetful of the human side”.
- Lexcel Senior Responsible Officer
- APIL Senior Litigator
I live in Broxbourne, Hertfordshire with my husband and two young children. I am a Trustee of Citizens Advice, Harlow, and am passionate about accessible justice for everyone. I am a keen runner having recently run my first Half Marathon and now in training for my second when I hope to beat my time!