Coroner Concludes Result of Accidental Death for Mentally Ill Woman

On behalf of Attwaters Jameson Hill posted on Thursday, February 2nd, 2017

This week, an Inquest took place to investigate the tragic death of a 46-year old woman, after a fire in her home near Bracknell. The hearing ran for two days in Reading Town Hall and finished on Thursday 22nd September. The Berkshire Coroner heard evidence of how Jane Victoria Ellis came to suffer serious effects from smoke inhalation and later died at a London hospital.

This week, an Inquest took place to investigate the tragic death of a 46-year old woman, after a fire in her home near Bracknell. The hearing ran for two days in Reading Town Hall and finished on Thursday 22nd September. The Berkshire Coroner heard evidence of how Jane Victoria Ellis came to suffer serious effects from smoke inhalation and later died at a London hospital.

Jane’s sister, Elizabeth Manley, is convinced that her sibling’s death could have been averted if her Mental Health Care Crisis Team had reacted promptly to a neighbour’s report that the patient was lighting candles close to flammable furniture in her flat.

After assessing all information associated with the case, the Coroner concluded a result of accidental death.

Madeline Seibert, Solicitor for Attwaters Jameson Hill, who represented the family said: “Jane’s family are disappointed with the Coroner’s verdict of accidental death. They feel Hospital staff did not take into account Jane’s learning difficulties and her inability to assess risk correctly. She lacked insight and the candles that she had lit in her flat were clearly a serious danger to her safety. Despite the family repeatedly informing staff of their concerns Jane was not reassessed. The family are taking legal advice and considering their options.”

Awards and Accolades

  • image awards
  • image awards
  • image awards
  • image awards
  • image awards