My Professional Background
I purely specialise, and have a wealth of 23 years’ experience, in family law including: divorce and separation, financial remedy proceedings (financial settlements), private law children disputes, child protection, cohabitation agreements and disputes, pre-nuptial agreements, post-nuptial agreements and civil partnerships.
My clients are often vulnerable and emotional. I am acutely conscious of the fact that they require not only sound legal and practical advice, but reassurance and support. The relationship that they have with their solicitor is extremely important and with my diverse and specialised knowledge in family law, I am able to assist and guide them through some difficult times.
I started at Attwater & Liell (as was) in December 2000 as Head of the Family department in Harlow. I became a Partner in 2003 and now head the Family department and a team of specialised lawyers, over all four of our offices. Prior to this I spent five years a firm in Hertfordshire, after training in a large firm in Buckinghamshire and working in North London.
Achievements / Accreditations
- I am a member of the Law Society Family Law scheme
- I am an accredited panel member on the Law Society Family Law Advanced Scheme (adult party’s Representative – Children Law proceedings)
- I am accredited by Resolution as a specialist family lawyer (Child Law and Advocacy)
- I was a panel member of the Law Society’s Children Law Accreditation Scheme for 13 years
- I have been listed as a ‘Best Lawyer’ within the UK for Family Law 2017
- In Chambers and Partners 2017, I am ranked in Band 1, with the following comments: “Joyti Henchie is ‘an exceptional practitioner with a first-class practice’. She handles complex children law cases and substantial financial work, along with cohabitation and prenuptial agreements. Sources say ‘she is a fantastic lawyer, who always has time no matter how busy she is’.
- In Chambers and Partners 2016, I achieved Band 1 status once more with the following accompanying comments: “Joyti Henchie has established ‘an extremely busy and successful family practice’. She handles a range of financial disputes and cross-border mandates. Sources also single her out as ‘extremely personable, organised and efficient’”.
- In Chambers and Partners 2015, I was ranked in Band 1 of family lawyers, within the region with the following comments: “Joyti has a wealth of expertise in matrimonial finance and children work. She receives solid praise for her ‘wise and practical counsel,’ in addition to her highly ‘approachable’ nature and ‘unending patience and empathy.’”
- In Chambers and Partners 2015, I was listed as a ‘notable practitioner’.
- My department is ranked in Band 3 of the Legal 500 and Band 2 (Essex) for Chambers and Partners 2017
- I am trained Collaborative Lawyer
- I was nominated for the Family Law Partner of the Year Award of the Family Law Awards (2012)
- I am rated in Thomas Reuters Super Lawyers (2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016)
- I was recently admitted to the exclusive Leading Lawyer Global 250 list
- I was involved in Re A (A Child)  EWHC 517 (Fam), Consideration of whether s.31 Children Act 1989 threshold had been crossed where it could not be shown that a child’s injuries had been caused by his parents
I was born in Isleworth, Middlesex, and have since lived within the Home Counties of Hertfordshire and Essex. I am married with three children, aged almost 18, 14 and 10. I enjoy pilates in my spare time.
HSSF (Help and Support for Separated Families) is an initiative that aims to reduce conflict and improve parental collaboration, to focus on the needs of children.