When any relationship breaks down it can be extremely upsetting for both parents involved but often it is the children who suffer the most.
The divorce or separation of parents is possibly the most traumatic experience that your child will have to go through. The life that he or she has known is about to change forever and this could lead to feelings of confusion, sadness, loneliness, anxiety and even anger.
The Attwaters Jameson Hill Family Law team firmly believes that agreeing the arrangements for the children has to be the overriding priority.
Whilst it is best if you as parents are able to agree issues directly between yourselves, we recognise that this is not always possible, especially when emotions run high. This is why it is crucial to seek legal advice from a specialist family lawyer in whom you trust and have confidence.
This is why the Attwaters Jameson Hill Family Law Team is here.
We pledge to provide every client with outstanding personal service and communication, unrivalled industry knowledge and a proven track record of successfully resolving disputes involving children.
How do we achieve this?
Attwaters Jameson Hill’s family lawyers can advise and assist you on all issues relating to your children following the breakdown of your relationship. This may include:
- Agreement as to where the children will live and how much time they will spend with each of you
- Help in obtaining regular and quality contact with your children – to know how much contact to expect or offer, or what to do if your contact is denied
- Agreement where your child will go to school or whether they should have any specific medical treatment
- Agreement around financial provision for the children, such as maintenance, school fees or a home for the duration of their dependency
- Advice if your ex-partner is threatening to leave the country with your child or wishes to change your child’s surname
- If your child was born before December 2003 and you were not married to his or her mother, you may not have parental responsibility and you may want to acquire it
In most cases, with the benefit of trusted legal advice, parents are able to agree on the arrangements for their children without the need for any legal proceedings.
If proceedings are necessary, then Attwaters Jameson Hill’s Family Law team will help you through them by focusing on what is in your child’s best interest and welfare.
We will advise you on the various Orders that a Court can make, including:
- Residence Order (formerly known as Custody)
- Contact Order (formerly known as Access)
- Parental Responsibility Order
- Prohibited Steps Order preventing a specific course of action without the consent of the Court
- Specific Issue Order which allows the Court to deal with an individual issue such as where your child should go to school
- Special Guardianship Order
The Attwaters Jameson Hill Family Law team has members of the Law Society Family Law Accreditation Scheme, the Law Society Children Panel Accreditation Scheme and accredited specialists of Resolution in Children Law and advocacy. This puts us in a powerful position to tailor our services to deliver the outcome that you deserve for your children.